GI-34 Washington / Jackson Portrait Flask
GI – 34
“Washington” And Bust – “Jackson” And Bust Portrait Flask
“WASHINGTON” – “JACKSON” PORTRAIT FLASK
Olive-Green Half Pint
Coventry Glass Works, Coventry, Connecticut
The Washington / Jackson portrait flask has George Washington facing right. Washington has a braid of hair worn hanging at the back of the head and a particularly long ornamental shoulder piece on the coat or jacket of his uniform. “WASHINGTON” is embossed in a semicircle above the bust of Washington.
The reverse has a portrait of Andrew Jackson and he too has an ornamental shoulder piece on the coat or jacket of his military uniform. “JACKSON” is embossed in a semicircle above the bust.
The half-pint flask has a plain lip and a pontil mark.
Existing colors are yellow-amber and amber which are common; olive-amber is very common and olive-green is comparatively scarce.
Coventry Class Works is given credit for producing the flask. It was during operation of the Gilbert Turner & Company that this flask was produced, circa 1832.
History of Coventry Glass Works
Seven men agreed to erect a glass factory in Coventry, Connecticut on January 14, 1813, along the Willimantic River. Four of the men, Captain Nathaniel Root, Ebenezer Root Nathaniel Root Jr., and Joseph A. Norton all of Coventry were not glassmakers. The group included Eli Evans, Thomas W. Bishop and Uriah Andrews, glassblowers from East Hartford that had the experience to run the day to day operations. Eli, Thomas, and Uriah were to use their expertise where needed in the glass factory and be compensated at $26 per month and $45 for each year they worked in the plant. In 1816 there was an agreement to expand by adding buildings. Thomas Stubbins was operating the glassworks by 1820. Lafayette flasks having embossed “T.S.” were made between 1820 and 1824.
According to a paper, Coventry Glass Works by Bill Lockhart, Beau Schriever, Bill Lindsey, and Carol Serr.
One of its owners, Thomas Stebbins, has been credited as the first to make historical flasks embossed with busts of famous people – in this case the Marquis de Lafayette.”Bill Lockhart, Beau Schriever, Bill Lindsey,and Carol Serr
The brother of Thomas may have entered the business sometime in 1825. The “S.S.” on some Lafayette flasks could be the entry of a brother to the glassworks or possibly a mistake. Later in 1825, Rufus B. Chamberlain joined the firm and they were now Stebbins & Chamberlin. The “S & C” is found on some flasks. In 1828, Jasper Gilbert, John Turner and Rufus B. Chamberlan with John Turner’s brother Levi took control forming Gilbert Turner & Company. Lack of wood is said to be the reason for the glassworks closing in 1848, but accounting books seem to indicate sales into 1849.